Sunday, January 8, 2012

I can't worship spirits of past ANC leaders - Kenneth Meshoe



ACDP leader explains his stance on the ANC’s 100 year anniversary.

Response by ACDP President Kenneth Meshoe to the statement by  Reverend Dr Vukile Mehana, ANC Chaplain General

"I celebrate and congratulate the African National Congress on its 100 year anniversary. I wholeheartedly support celebrating this special event which marks the remembrance of the liberation of the people of South Africa. However, I cannot participate in anything that involves invoking the spirits of the ancestors, as will be done at the vigil on Friday 6 January 2012 at Mangaung.

I respect and honour all the leaders of the ANC, and all those who made personal sacrifices during the struggle for our liberation, but I cannot worship their spirits or make sacrifices to them. I do not worship the spirits of dead people, make sacrifices to them or communicate with them in any way, including the spirits of my own mother and father who passed away a few years ago. I believe we should only worship the living God through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Reverend Dr Vukile Mahana said in his statement, "what Reverend Meshoe must learn and understand is that the Centenary celebrations are not about worshipping ancestors. However, through the ceremonies and services which form part of the Centenary programme, the ANC will venerate the spirit of those who were part of its history." In his own words he has contradicted himself. He has made it clear that the ANC will venerate the spirit of the ancestors.

The good Reverend is unfair to conclude that if I do not attend their celebrations because of my opposition to the invoking of the spirits of the ancestors, I will be practising religious intolerance. I submit that is incorrect for him to conclude that if someone does not attend an event they do not agree with, then they are intolerant. What about the constitutional right to choose? Does the good Reverend accuse all the people who do not want to go to church of religious intolerance? I would also like to remind the good Reverend, who in his statement said that practicing religious intolerance is "behaviour which is totally unacceptable and a direct contravention of our Constitution as well as the fundamental values and principles of Christianity", that throughout Scripture the Living God makes it very clear that He hates idolatry and that we are not to worship the dead; it is wickedness and an abomination before Him. The invocation of ancestral spirits is thus something that God hates and which He will not bless.

In his conclusion, Reverend Dr Mahana said, "way before the first ANC President was born, Jesus Christ that we all worship has died and we still worship him." I do not worship Jesus because He is dead, I worship Him because He rose from the dead and is alive for evermore. Jesus died for our sins and rose again. We worship Him today because He is alive. Ancestral spirits are dead and cannot save anybody. Let us therefore choose to worship and serve the resurrected Jesus Christ because He alone can save us and give us eternal life."

Rev. Kenneth Meshoe MP

Issued by the ACDP, January 6 2012

Related articles on politicsweb.co.za:
Relevant Scripture:

(Old Testament) Isaiah 1:11-15
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full [had enough] of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. (KJV)

(New Testament) Hebrew 9:24-28
24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. (KJV)

1 comment:

Ravensqarr said...

It is wonderful to see true enlightenment through the blood of Christ can be obtained by all who follow Him. May more eyes be opened to see the demonic monster which is our goverment.

Most viewed posts:

tia4christ.blogspot.com